James W. Grable, Jr.
James W. Grable, Jr. focuses his practice on complex federal criminal and civil litigation, handling trial and appellate matters in federal and state courts. He has represented multi-national corporations in criminal investigations and civil disputes, and impoverished individuals in assigned criminal and civil matters. He has tried numerous cases to verdict in federal and state court, including months-long complex federal trials. Examples of his diverse experience include:
- Winning a six-week jury trial in New York State Supreme Court defending a successful businessman against claims that he intentionally harmed a woman with whom he shares a child, defeating numerous claims and a demand for a seven-figure award.
- Obtaining multiple seven-figure settlements in products liability cases against manufacturers and distributors of products that caused wrongful injuries.
- Winning an acquittal at trial of a medical professional criminally charged with sexually abusing his patient, obtaining a sealing order protecting the client from additional public disclosure of the accusations and his identity, and then obtaining a full dismissal of all state licensing charges against his client.
- Obtaining dismissal of all criminal charges against a teacher accused of sexual contact with several students, and winning a sealing order barring additional public disclosure of the allegations. Jim then secured a civil settlement to compensate the falsely accused teacher for damage to his reputation.
- Conducting an internal investigation for a company concerned about potential environmental violations, and drafting a compliance plan that the company adopted to avoid future environmental issues and protect its workers and its community.
- Securing dismissal before a federal trial of discrimination allegations against a police commissioner, and obtaining appellate affirmation of the dismissal of all causes of action.
- Winning a commercial arbitration after proving that the party claiming a breach of contract had broken its promises, to prevail against breach of contract and defamation claims and to obtain a favorable monetary judgment on a counterclaim in favor of the business that had been sued.
- Preventing the imposition of federal or state criminal charges against an accountant and CFO, and successfully representing this business professional before the Securities and Exchange Commission to avoid adverse SEC action by the agency.
- Winning a trial order of dismissal at the close of the prosecution’s proof, successfully resolving all criminal charges against a police officer charged with official misconduct.
- Obtaining an acquittal at trial of a young man accused of sexual assault.
Jim’s trial experience and work on behalf of his clients earned him induction into the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. That association limits its membership to less than 1/10 of 1% of the lawyers practicing in the United States, and Fellowship in the Academy is by invitation only after an extremely rigorous vetting process that includes peer and judicial review.
Jim has been included among the publication Best Lawyers in America from 2011 to the present, and has been selected as the “Lawyer of the Year in Criminal Defense: General Practice in Buffalo” for 2016, 2018, and 2020.
From 1996-1998, Jim served as confidential law clerk to the Hon. William M. Skretny, United States District Court Judge for the Western District of New York.
Jim has amassed extensive knowledge and experience in the area of sentencing, and in 2011 was appointed by the United States Sentencing Commission to serve as a voting member of the Sentencing Commission’s Practitioners Advisory Group, where he served multiple terms.
Jim strongly believes in the responsibility of lawyers to serve those who cannot afford representation. He serves on the Criminal Justice Act panel in the United States District Court for the Western District of New York, where he represents impoverished individuals facing criminal charges. The Judges of the United States District Court for the Western District of New York awarded Jim the Criminal Justice Act Award in 2019 in recognition of and “appreciation for distinguished criminal defense work representing indigent defendants” before the court “and for consistently providing stellar and zealous advocacy to ensure that each criminal defendant receives a full and fair defense without regard to financial circumstances.” And Jim’s work trying a federal civil case on behalf of a prison inmate resulted in the federal district court awarding him its Special Service Award for his “outstanding pro bono counsel representation and dedication.”
Jim serves as an officer on the board of directors of the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He also has served as an adjunct professor of trial technique at the State University of New York at Buffalo Law School. He lectures frequently on evidence and federal trial objections.
Jim earned his J.D. with honors from the State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, where he served as Editor-in-Chief of the Buffalo Law Review. Jim earned his B.A. magna cum laude from the State University of New York at Buffalo, where he was also a University Honors Scholar and graduated Phi Beta Kappa.
Did You Know?
Jim, his wife Laura, and their four children reside in Clarence, NY, where Jim has coached youth baseball, hockey, and basketball.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Vice President and Life Member, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Board of Trustees, St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute
- Former Voting Member, United States Sentencing Commission’s Practitioners Advisory Group
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Vice President, St. Gregory the Great School Athletic Association
- Former Adjunct Professor of Trial Technique, State University of New York at Buffalo Law School
- Former Director, State University of New York at Buffalo Law School Alumni Association
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America (2011-present) (Lawyer of the Year in Criminal Defense: General Practice in Buffalo 2016, 2018, 2020)
- Super Lawyers (2009-present)
- Legal Elite of Western New York
- Buffalo Business First, Who’s Who in the Law
- Special Service Award Winner, United States District Court, WDNY
- Criminal Justice Act Award Winner, United States District Court, WDNY
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV rated
- Editor-in-Chief, Buffalo Law Review
- Robert J. Connelly Award, State University of New York at Buffalo Law School
- Carlos C. Alden Award, Buffalo Law Review