Joseph D. Morath, Jr.
Recognized by his peers as a rising star in the legal profession, Joseph D. Morath, Jr. is an experienced trial attorney who focuses his practice on personal injury, wrongful death and nursing home litigation. He has obtained multiple jury verdicts, including million and multi-million dollar awards, and reached numerous settlements on behalf of his clients.
A veteran of the United States Armed Forces, Joe served for four years as an active duty infantryman with the United States Marine Corps. Following the completion of his active duty service, he served three years as a military police officer with the New York Army National Guard, including one year in support of Operation Joint Forge in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Today, as a successful attorney, Joe remains committed to supporting his fellow Armed Forces veterans, and has served as a veteran mentor at the City of Buffalo Veteran’s Court, the first court of its kind in the nation that tries cases involving U.S. Armed Forces veterans, while accounting for the hardships that are unique to those formerly in military service. Joe is also a past member of the Board of Directors of Western New York Heroes Inc., an organization that provides veterans, members of the armed services, and the widows and children of deceased veterans with access to essential services, financial assistance, and resources that support their lives and sustain their dignity. He also is the former chair of the Bar Association of Erie County’s Committee on Veterans’ and Service-Members’ Legal Issues, and sits on the board of directors for the SUNY Buffalo Law Alumni Association.
In 2014, Joe was selected as one of Buffalo Business First’s “40 Under Forty”. The 40 honorees, young leaders in the Buffalo-Niagara business community, were chosen for their outstanding achievements and their commitment to the Western New York community.
Joe earned his B.S. summa cum laude from the State University of New York at Buffalo, and his J.D. from the State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, where he served as a senior member of both the Buffalo and Jessup Moot Court boards. While in law school, Joe also founded and served as the first president of the United States Armed Forces Law Student Association.
Did You Know? In 2016, Joe ran in and completed a Badwater 51.4 mile ultramarathon.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.S. criminal justice, summa cum laude
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D.
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Past Board Member, Western New York Heroes, Inc.
- Past Chair, Bar Association of Erie County Committee on Veterans’ and Service-Members’ Legal Issues
- Director, State University of New York at Buffalo Law Alumni Association
- Founder and President, United States Armed Forces Law Student Association
- Super Lawyers, Personal Injury
- Super Lawyers, Upstate New York Rising Star
- Buffalo Business First, 40 Under Forty